Sunday 9 March 2008

Eerily does it...

Eerily, oil on canvas,
60x65cm

... it lures, unsettles and seems to offer something behind those trees. Doesn't it?

So, here's the difficult child of the four... With the least distance between fore- and background, that tree line calls out. It's wintery, blurred, cold and yet somewhat... something... Don't know quite what it is.

But it makes it not easily likeable like beautiful haze and groovy primaries.

Over the past few weeks I've written down associations and memories to all these images. Funny, I think it would be difficult for me to get any scene, landscape, impression on paper or canvas which has more association and memories that these four, five scenes in the series of winter drawings and paintings.

And still, I struggle to trace back the uncanny in this one. I like it, though, maybe because of it's recalcitrant and diffident attitude to beauty.

Eerily, oil on canvas, 60x65cm, detail

2 comments:

Yellow said...

For me, it's the way the blue in the heavily trodden track in the foreground ties in the with same blue behind the tree. It does make me want to explore.
I can't wait to see the fourth one.

Casey Klahn said...

Striking stuff!

I love the freedom of gesture and brush stroke that you use, Gesa.